The Center for Marine Sciences and Technology (CMAST) is committed to ensuring a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. CMAST strongly condemns racism and institutionalized racial violence and stands in solidarity with marginalized groups and movements seeking to confront them. We will continue to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment at CMAST. We commit to fostering and growing a CMAST community that reflects the rich diversity of our country.
As part of this commitment, we are taking the following actions:
- Recruit and support diverse faculty, researchers, staff and students;
- Target minority applicants for some of our CMAST Summer Fellowships for
- Partner with the NC State/ College Agricultural and Life Sciences Office of Diversity and
Inclusion to offer their CAALS-3D education/outreach program to minority high school
students in Carteret County.
- Pursue and make available training to address racism and implicit bias, end harassment,
and implement bystander intervention;
- Amplify the voices of historically-marginalized groups in STEM via seminars and other
available platforms and resources.
- Create an environment in which all members of CMAST recognize and act upon our
shared responsibility to report abusive or hostile behavior when witnessed, and to support
those who experience and/or report such behavior;
- Stay fully informed of campus policies and reporting mechanisms to combat
discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and retaliation to ensure such campus policies
are followed at CMAST.
- Promote the success of and provide encouragement to all members of the CMAST
community to fully integrate students, staff and faculty from historically-marginalized
groups into the life and work of the center.
We are undertaking this commitment together to ensure a strong and inclusive community.
David Eggleston, Professor and CMAST Director
To learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion at NC State University, visit https://www.ncsu.edu/diversity/